In today's society, one would think that having internet would be a standard in life. Well, as I have learned and am learning , it is a privilege to be connected to the rest of the world. None of the families here have internet access. Salamanca is not a backwards city, they are just more traditional and like to spend their time outside and with other people... those who do have internet keep their line locked... I guess so that people like me can't steal their connection.
The Wake center is open from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm, but working around my class schedule, going home for lunch and siestas, and cooperating with the six hour time difference makes it imposible to communicate with people back home and people abroad. Is that too much to ask for? What is the use of skype or webcams if I can't access anything?
There is an internet café at the bottom of my family's apartment building with wi-fi, but I have to use the desktop computers there... which is pointless if I want to use my laptop. The other cafés are rather far, but I don't want to risk walking on the streets late at night by myself.
THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!! GAAAAHHH!!!!
I am going to be honest and say that I knew that being away from my family, Tim, and my friends would be difficult, but I compltely underestimated its toll. I thought that technology would unite us somehow; Right now, that does not seem to be the case... and every day, every minute, I find myself struggling to face reality.
Maybe I am speaking too soon, and just need time to adjust more. Maybe this is the part where I need to be patient and mature, level-headed and thankful... but I am human and have my downfalls. Maybe the better lesson of studying abroad is not learning more Spanish, but learning how to become more independent, and more trusting in my faith that everything will be alright in the end.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
:( I'm so sorry! Look into buying an internet card...like you can buy them on cell phone networks and get internet anywhere. I know it costs money, but that'd be so much easier!
ReplyDelete