Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bob de esponja

I just want to mention that my Spanish family is adorable. Granted, I still have to meet Nestor, their twelve-year old son, because he is at the family’s small summer house spending time with his abuela. However, if he is anything like the rest of them, then I am sure we will get along well.


My madre is extremely understanding of my Spanish incompetence. She always tries to explain what different words mean and is always patient with my countless mistakes. I feel like I can connect with her on many different levels. We always talk about food, “la gripe A” (swine flu), her children, and cross cultural topics. Just the other day, we were watching the Spanish news magazine version of “Inside Edition” during lunch, and Brad Pitt was one of the features. The conversation that ensued about him was quite hilarious. I am not his biggest fan, and apparently neither is she… she does not understand why people find him so attractive; she believes there are many more handsome guys in the world :) I never thought that coming to Spain would include conversations about Hollywood celebrities: we can never escape them.


My padre is a police officer in Salamanca, mostly directing traffic since the city is safer than most. His work schedule is rather complicated, since it involves long hours and night shifts. However there are days that he has complete free. I pity him because it is difficult for him to develop a regular sleeping pattern.


One day he asked me what was wrong with my eye. As many of you know, I have eczema, also known as “skin asthma.” A few spots on my arms and legs, and one spot over the corner of my left eye are usually susceptible to rashes and dryness, especially in hot weather. I explained this condition, and he was able to empathize because most everyone in their family is afflicted too. They even offered me to use some of their expensive prescription cream, but I gratefully declined since I already had a tube of my own.



Raul, my hermano menor, or little brother, is probably my favorite person. He is about six years old, as tall as my waist, and wears glasses. Every time I see him, he is watching tv… whether it is the Disney channel complete with Hannah Montana and Aladdin, or his personal favorite, Bob de esponja, otherwise known as Sponge bob. Of course everything is dubbed in Spanish, except for any of the songs the characters sing. Raul knows all the words to every Jonas Brothers song… and all in English. I doubt that he knows what they are saying, but my heart softens every time he sings

No comments:

Post a Comment