
On Monday night, the group went out for Tapas. All thirty of us sat at one table, which spanned the whole restaurant. Set on the table were small "tortas," which are like small cakes made of and egg and potato batter. There was also a variety of jamón tapas, or pork tapas that we ate with tostada, or toasted bread: "sal chicón, el chorizo, lomo de cerdo, etc." Most of them resembled italian priscutto, extra spicy pepperoni, and had a strong cured flavor. "Lomo cerdo," however, was more like small cuts of pork loin served with fried potaoes. Later on the waiters brought out "gamba," which are small prawns or large shrimp. They were cooked in their shells and still had their heads. Luckily, I was not surprised becasue that is how fresh shrimp is served in the Philipines. Everyone had a diffciult time peeling gamba; just a little bit of meat required a lot of work. Barry bet me one euro that I would not eat an eye of the prawn; I'll spare you the details and say that I now have one more euro in my pocket :) Saddly, I accidentally deleted all of the pictures of the night, which included documentation of my "delicious" feat. For dessert we had "nata" flavored ice cream, which is basically just frozen sweet cream. I was stuffed...

We then went to the Plaza Mayor and sat out on the little tables. The ambiance was wonderful, especially since the palace was lit with soft yellow lights. We orded some "Sangria," which is Spanish red or white wine mixed with two different types of hard liquor, and loaded with slices of citrus fruits, grapes, etc. It was sweet, but not too sweet, fruity, and yet I could still taste a hint of wine. Needless to say, it was scrumptilicious. There are varied recipies all over Spain... I guess I will just have to try some more.
No comments:
Post a Comment